Saturday, September 25, 2010

Batch Cooking

AKA Once a month cooking, Once a week cooking, Freezer meals, Bulk cooking
I started doing this over the summer. I made several whole chickens in the crockpot, then cubed the meat and froze it, drained the stock and froze it also for soups etc. Of course I added spices and onion, carrots and celery. I also made MANY frozen pizzas. I made the dough and then rolled out many pizzas, topped and froze. Boy, did these come in handy when I needed a no cook night! I made lasagna, batches of spaghetti sauce, a thai typed chicken recipe. I even made a ton of beans, brown rice, and all sorts of meats-cooked and then separated into meal sized portions and then froze. Have you ever done this? Do you have recipes to share? If so post to the comments so others can try out this way of life. I do not use these meals every night. Nor do I try to cook a month of meals in a day...I can't handle it...but I do make meals here and there, just 5 or six instead of one. The main convenience of not having to cook or clean those nights after ball practice or cheerleading has really helped me out. Hopefully I will be able to compile recipes and keep them going so this can help families, especially to stay away from the drive-thru:) Or for me that yummy fried food at the ball park! 
Ginger-Peanutbutter freezer chicken recipe:
Place 4 chicken breasts (thawed or frozen) into a gallon sized freezer bag or aluminum pan.
Add 1 tablespoon of minced Ginger (I bought this in a tube in the produce dept)
1/4 cup of peanut butter (Creamy or smooth-whatever you like)
2 tablespoons of soy sauce (Teriyaki would work also)
2 tablespoons of packed brown sugar
Freeze after you let the kids shake the bag up and get everything nice and mixed up
Freeze !
I cut the bag opena nd dump contents in a baking dish
Cook for about 1 hour at 350...make sure chicken is cooked
Then top with a few peanuts or some chopped green onion
This was a huge hit with my husband!
I have also cooked this in advance and then froze, 
so I only had to warm up and it worked out just as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment